Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Boxes are Planted and Thriving

I love it! Our boxes are looking great in our garden and the Kansas boxes have also been planted and we'll see how they're doing this coming weekend.

I think I'm going to be able to meet my goal of halving the garden area this year. We've been moving the daylillies that have been in 'holding' and will finish the moves this week if all goes as planned. I still have some mini Iris to find a home for but those are easy to plop into the ground somewhere.

The carrots The Husband and The Kid planted where I didn't want them are doing well. I thinned them out a bit. The radishes and peas they planted were duds. I've moved some sunflowers to one section of the garden so they'll shade the sandbox and I've also transplanted beans that are coming up in the wrong spot.

Here in Iowa we have four boxes that are planted. The front two are 4'x4' and the back is 3'x3' or there abouts, it's made of scraps. The back one was planted with two pepper plants and strawberries and then the one next to it is all strawberries. Even though they have not started to produce runners I can see how much I'm going to enjoy having them in a box instead of on the ground.

The front two boxes have a variety of veggies and flowers. We've planted some spinach, lettuce, two types of onions (Walla Walla and a plain white onion), broccoli, cabbage and bush peas. Within them we have some snapdragons, a nasturtium, and allium (not sure what it's going to do as it's a transplant and I'm not sure I've ever seen it bloom). Around all of the boxes The Kid planted a mixture of pansies and marigolds.

Our next container will be about 2'x6' and contain herbs. It will be located on the western edge of the garden .

I'm utilizing the bean/pea tee-pee to trellis muskmelon and cucumbers. Under the tee-pee are two watermelons we will keep under control with selective pruning. We've also planted two tomatoes and could have room for one more.

Like many around us the lawns are growing very rapidly. Our small pasture area and the ditches were really long so we had to pick up the grass clippings. I've used those on top of the landscape fabric and I think it looks so much better than the black stuff out there. Since I did not purchase a heavy fabric weeds were still sprouting underneath our foot paths. This new mulch should take care of that and since it's not going to be tilled into the soil I shouldn't have to worry about grass seeding itself.

Speaking of weeding it is sooooooo easy to weed these boxes! In less than 10 minutes they can be weed free. I suspect the longer they are in the garden the less weeds there will be to pull. Now, there are plenty coming up around the potatoes, the bean/pea tee-pee and the tomatoes. I left our extra fabric in Kansas and will lay it when I get back from my next trip down. Before I lay it I may Preen the soil. Still debating.

I'm going to post some pictures tomorrow. Right now I'm uploading some pics and my computer does not multi-task as well as I do.

Happy gardening!